Make your own little LED strip arrangement with this stick of NeoPixel LEDs. This stick crammed 8 of the tiny 5050 (5mm x 5mm) smart RGB LEDs onto a PCB with mounting holes and a chainable design. Use only one microcontroller pin to control as many as you can chain together! Each LED is addressable as the driver chip is inside the LED. Each one has ~18mA constant current drive so the color will be very consistent even if the voltage varies, and no external choke resistors are required making the design slim. Power the whole thing with 5VDC (4-7V works) and you're ready to rock. Check out this video from a user, RDIoT Demo:
The LEDs are 'chainable' by connecting the output of one stick into the input of another. There is a single data line with a very timing-specific protocol. Since the protocol is very sensitive to timing, it requires a real-time microcontroller such as an AVR, Arduino, PIC, mbed, etc. It cannot be used with a Linux-based microcomputer or interpreted microcontroller such as the netduino or Basic Stamp. Our wonderfully-written Neopixel library for Arduino supports these pixels! As it requires hand-tuned assembly it is only for AVR cores but others may have ported this chip driver code so please google around. An 8MHz or faster processor is required.
Comes as a single stick with 8 individually addressable RGB LEDs assembled and tested.
- NeoPixel compatible
- 8 Addressable RGB LED in series
- Viewing angle: 120 degrees
- Red: (620-630nm) @ 550-700mcd
- Green: (515-530nm) @ 1100-1400mcd
- Blue: (465-475nm) @ 200-400mcd
- Dimensions: 51.10mm / 2" x 10.22mm / 0.4" x 3.19mm / 0.12"
- Weight: 2.57g
- May ship with either WS2812B or SK6812-based LEDs. They are the same brightness, color and protocol
- DI: Data from a microcontroller (or another WS2812 pixel) comes into this pin
- 5V: This should be a regulated supply voltage between 5V and about 7V. More than that could harm the LED, less than 5V will either reduce brightness, or it just won’t turn on.
- GND: The common, ground, 0V reference supply voltage.
- DO: Data is shifted out of this pin, to be connected to the input of another pixel or left floating if it is the last link in the chain.
- 1 x WS2812B NeoPixel LED Stick - 8 LED
- NeoPixel Überguide
- NeoPixel Library
- How to Control WS2812B Individually Addressable LEDs using Arduino, by Dejan in How to Mechatronics