These full color displays can pack a lot of information into a small 1.3″ form factor with 260PPI (Pixels Per Inch).
When you find these modules for sale, they are often mistakenly identified as an OLED display but they are in fact IPS LCD which has a similar wide viewing angle to OLED.
The module operates at 3.3V, so if using with a 5V MCU, be sure to include logic level shifters on the data lines to prevent possible damage. The circuitry on the back of the module is just a transistor and a few resistors and capacitor to provide backlight control. The module does not have a 3.3V regulator on it and so must be powered from 3.3V.
- 1.3″ IPS LCD with wide ±80° viewing angle
- RGB Full color display
- SPI interface w/out CS pin
- ST7789 LCD display controller
- 3.3V operation
- Size: 1.3 inches
- Material: HD IPS color screen, brighter than ordinary TFT LCD
- Resolution: 240 x 240 display direction can be adjusted, square Founder
- Chinese font: GT30L3254W supports multiple fonts Chinese and English fonts up to 32 x 32 dot matrix
- Control chip: ST7789
- Display area: 23.4 x 23.4 (mm)
- Physical size: 27.78 x 39.22 (mm)
- Interface Type: 4-wire SPI interface
- Number of pins: 10Pin
- Perspective direction: full view
- Working temperature: -20~70 degrees
Connection to the display is via a 7-pin header.
- GND – Connect to system ground. This ground needs to be in common with the MCU.
- VCC – Connect to 3.3V. This can come from the MCU or separate power supply. We tested using 5V from Arduino board and it works too.
- SCL – Connects to SPI SCL (Clock)
- SDA – Connect to SPI MOSI (Data)
- RES – Reset for the ST7789 LCD controller. Normally HIGH, pull LOW to reset
- DC – Data / Command. Determines type type of data being sent to the display. LOW = Command, HIGH = Data
- BLK – Backlight Control. If left unconnected, the backlight is always on. Pull LOW to turn off
- 1 x 1.3-inch 240x240 IPS LCD Breakout - ST7789