Note: From 21st April 2020 onwards, this module comes with a STRAIGHT (4-pin) header pin and NO jumper wires are included.
Line following is an essential algorithm for many mobile robots, especially the AGV (Automated Guided Vehicle). It is also fundamental for many control algorithms.
This is a line detection sensor module based on infrared (IR) reflection and it is super easy to use. The sensor has been mounted at the bottom of the module, perfect for mobile robot line detection. It comes with an onboard potentiometer to adjust the sensitivity. The output is digital signal so it is easy to interface with any microcontroller such as Arduino/Genuino UNO, Mega, Leornado, Zero, 101, even the Raspberry Pi or Raspberry Pi Zero. And of course, it is also compatible with all other controller boards including CIKU, CT-UNO, CT-ARM, etc. This sensor module is used in PikaBot too:
Since it is using infrared reflection, it can be used as an obstacle detection sensor too, it is non-contact detection. As it is based on light reflection, the detection does vary with different surfaces. And any infrared source might also interfere with the detection. Yet, since the emitter and sensor are mounted at the bottom of the PCB, this module is designed for line detection :)
It comes in a pair of Infrared emitter and receiver mounted at the bottom of the module, whenever there is an object blocking the infrared source or reflective surface such as white surface, it reflects the infrared, the receiver detects the reflected infrared, generate an electric signal. The signal further go through a comparator circuit onboard, depending on the threshold that is adjusted (through the potentiometer), it will output digital logic at output pin (DO) and an indicator LED will light up to indicate the detection. Turning the onboard potentiometer clockwise will increase the sensitivity and further increase the detection range. Besides the digital output signal, this sensor board also provides an analog output pin (AO). This module is compatible with 5V or 3.3V power input.
Check the PikaBot in action performing line following with just two of these sensor modules:
- Operating voltage: 3.3V or 5VDC
- 4-pin interface which are: AO, DO, GND and VCC:
- AO is an analog output pin, the analog voltage will be high when there is no obstacle or infrared reflection. The voltage will gradually decrease when the infrared receive it high.
- DO is a digital output pin from the sensor module, please connect to any digital input on your microcontroller. Will output logic LOW when object is detection
- GND is where you connect to your controller ground or 0V
- VCC is the +ve supply, connect to either +3.3V or +5V
- Two LED indicators:
- Power indicator LED
- Object detection indicator LED
- Obstacle detection range: 5mm to 10mm from the sensor
- Adjustable sensitivity with an onboard potentiometer, this translates to an adjustable detection range.
- Compact makes it easy to assembly
- Digital and analog output
- Compatible with all types of microcontrollers
- Dimension: 3.2cm x 1.4cm
- 1 x IR Line Tracking Module
- PikaBot, a smart Maker UNO mobile robot that uses this sensor module as line following sensor. Comes with example code and also assembly video.