Note: New Stock from Jan 2020 onwards comes with only TWO thermal tapes. One for CPU and another for RAM IC.
This is a super elegant and practical armor case for Raspberry Pi 4 Model B. It is an upgraded version to support Raspberry Pi 4 Model B, great!
Frankly speaking, it is not an enclosure or case, it should be called heatsink because the case itself is CNC aluminum and comes with thermal paste/tape to effectively dissipate heat generated from the processor, RAM IC. Furthermore, it is also integrated with two cooling fans (assembled, but not fasten to the case), just connect the power to run it. Not to worry the Wifi Signal is not affected due to case open design.
Check out this video, although it's not exactly this version of the case, the assembly steps are the same:
In the video, the thermal tape is not sticking to the case. But we do advise to stick the thermal tape to respective IC. Without the thermal tape, there will be an air gap between the case and Raspberry Pi, and as we know, the air is a heat insulator :( So please paste the thermal tape. Don't panic, you can simply attach it to the case as shown below.
Note: Please avoid sticking the tape on the RPi 4B so that you can reuse the case with other RPi. Stick the side with a white sticker to the case.
The picture below shows the connection of fan to the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+. However, the connection is just the same for Raspberry Pi 4 Model B as the GPIO pinout is the same for both models.
Note: Raspberry Pi main board is NOT Included.
- Aluminum Alloy Armor case for Raspberry Pi 4 Model B: 1GB, 2GB, and 4GB version.
- Made from CNC machining manufacturing technology
- Its cool design and good-looking are liked by makers
- It includes the dual fan and thermal tapes/paste which reduce the temperature for the Raspberry Pi board effectively
- There are four screws for you to fix the case with the Raspberry Pi board
- Dual Cooling Fan:
- Low Power Consumption Design
- Dual Cooling Experience, No More Overheating Problem
- Very Quiet Cooling Fan, You can hear even nothing
- Update Thermal Tape Can Make Sure Best Heat Conduction Effect.
- For Aluminium Alloy Case and Heatsink:
- Perfect Size for Raspberry Pi 4 Model B.
- Big Size Heatsink and Cooling Fan Can Make Sure: No More Overheating Problem.
- High Quality CNC Aluminium Alloy Case Can Protect your Pi Safe.
- Open Design Can Make Sure Our CNC Case will not effect Wifi Signal.
We have done the stress test on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 1GB board. The test is carried out to compare the temperature performance of the Raspberry Pi 4 with this armor case, Fan Off and Fan On. This is just one of the many methods you can use to benchmark the thermal performance of the enclosure or heatsink. The test consists of two parts which are cooling and continue with stress test. The stress test loads the CPU to 100% and logs the temperature. We have also updated the EEPROM firmware of Raspberry Pi 4 Model B to 000137ad (date: 10 Sep 2019), the thermal performance improved significantly:
Note: The thermal pastes/tapes is very crucial for the thermal dissipation, please ensure it is properly stacked between the top case/heatsink and the respective IC (CPU and RAM). Please paste BOTH the thermal tapes.
Here is the thermal performance with the earlier version of EEPROM firmware. It gets hot quite a lot if the Fan is off (there is around 20ºC improvement):
- 1 x Aluminum Alloy Cooling Case, top and bottom
- 1 x Dual Cooling Fan (Need to assemble)
- 2 x Thermal Tape
- 4 x Allen Cap Bolt to fasten the case (from bottom)
- 8 x Allen Cap Bolt to fasten the cooling fan
- 1 x Allen Key (Hex wrench)