Serial communication is the most popular and commonly used interface between devices and it applies to microcontroller and computer too. UART is one of those serial interfaces. Classically, most of serial interface between a microcontroller and a computer is through serial port (DB9). Computer serial port uses RS232 protocol and microcontroller uses TTL (Transistor Transistor Logic) UART, a level shifter is needed between these interfaces.
Yet, serial port on computer has been phased out and replaced by USB. Therefore, Cytron decided to develop a USB to UART converter which offers USB plug and play, direct interface with a microcontroller and it provides 5VDC supply from the USB port. Rev3.0 added 3.3V voltage regulator (max output current 500mA), and a slide switch to choose 5V or 3.3V for logic and Vsel level. It also utilises the commonly used USB microB socket, grab the USB microB cable if you do not have one yet.
- Uses the market leader in USB to Serial IC, FTDI FT232RL
- Easy, plug and use USB to UART converter
- Aiming development between computer and microcontroller, 3.3V or 5V logic
- USB powered, no external source is required
- 5V from USB port is available for the user, via Vsel
- Configurable logic level of 3.3V or 5V for UART interface
- CTS, RTS, DTR and DSR are extended out to standard header pin solderable PCB pads (side)
- Plug and Play, the driver is needed for 1st time user only.
- Rev3.0 have 6 ways header socket for bootloading code into Arduino compatible board:
- Dimension: 45.2 x 21.3 x 4.2 mm
Enhancement on Rev3.0:
- Add slide side switch for 3.3V or 5.0V, choosing the power and logic for both UART pin and Vsel.
- Uses USB Micro B instead of USB Mini B, offering strong socket and users can utilize Android phone or Power bank charger cable.
- Remove 4-way connector
- Add 3.3V voltage regulator, Max current 500mA
- 1x UC00A (FTDI) USB to UART Converter
- User's Manual (UC00A Rev3.0)
- User's Manual (UC00A Rev2.0)
- User's Manual (UC00A Rev1.0)
- Schematic - UC00A Rev3.0
- FT232 USB Driver
- Driver Installation Guide for Win 7
- Driver Installation Guide for Win XP
- Fritzing File
- Introduction to UC00A(Rev1.0) - USB to UART Converter
- Introduction to UART - Universal Asynchronous Receiver and Transmitter
- Using UC00A as GPIO - More Than A USB to UART Converter
- Transmitting and Receiving data wireless- UC00A(Rev1) and RF module: Low-Cost Wireless UART
- BBFuino - Display Temperature from LM35, loading program using UC00A Rev2
- Serial Loopback Test, to verify the working of UC00 Serias of board